Our History

About the Statue

Artist: Jiri Hanzalek (1926 – 2012)

http://www.hanzalek.com/curriculum.html

The Mother and Child statue was loaned to the Library for the grand opening on 4 October 1974 by the artist for a six month period. A committee was formed in 1975 to raise funds to purchase the fiberglass original for the library, then it was recast in bronze with the help of a Wintario grant in 1978.

Resource: From a pamphlet created for the opening of the new St.  Thomas-Elgin Library, Oct 4, 1974. Click here to access the document virtually.

 

Another version of the statue stands in Chechia. Click here to see the statue.