Did you know that you can now check out library books from the Elgin Mall?
The new Library Lending Kiosk works like a vending machine, but instead of bottled drinks or a snack, the unit dispenses library books! All you have to do is enter your library card, and select the title you want. The book drops down, and you can take it home with you for 3 weeks!
What books can you choose from?
- Reasons to stay alive / by Matt Haig
- Me before you / by Jojo Moyes
- The best kind of people / by Zoe Whittall
- The light between oceans : a novel / by ML Stedman
- Spark joy / by Marie Kondo
- The girls : a novel / by Emma Cline
- Behind closed doors / by B. A. Paris
- Britt-Marie was here / by Fredrik Backman
- The nest / by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney
- Nocturnal Animals / Austin Wright
- A dog’s purpose / W. Bruce Cameron
- Lion / Saroo Brierley
- The Shack / Paul Young
- Their finest / Lissa Evans
- Big little lies / Liane Moriarty
- The Zookeepers Wife / Diane Ackerman
- Hallelujah Anyways / Anne Lamott
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks / Rebecca Skloot
- Between them / Richard Ford
- 13 reasons why / Jay Asher
How often are the books changed?
We will be replacing titles and adding new ones every few months! Check back often, as there may be something new!
Why did the Library choose the mall?
Back in 2011, the library operated day-to-day out of the mall, during its year-long building renovation. Library customers really liked having a presence at the mall, and patrons have told us that they miss having us there. So what better place to try and reach more library customers, who may not be able to visit our main location on Curtis Street!
How are the Friends of St. Thomas Public Library involved?
The lending kiosk was generously sponsored by the Friends of the Library group, and they happen to run a used book shop in the Elgin Mall already. The Friends of St. Thomas Public Library are volunteers who have donated over $200,000 to the Library since their inception in 1994, and they were so pleased to have been able to donate the funds for this exciting project.