How do I get a Library card?
- Visit the main circulation desk to register for your library card today!
- All you need is identification and proof of current address. If you don’t have a Driver’s Licence, we also accept other ID’s (e.g. birth certificate) AND something which confirms your current address (e.g. recent bill or personalized cheque).
- Children in elementary school or younger need a parent or guardian to sign the registration form to assume the legal responsibility for materials borrowed from the Library.
- High school students may register for a card with ID and confirmation of address or a current student card.
- Your Library card needs to be renewed every two years. ID and confirmation of current address is required to renew.
Who can get a Library Card?
Membership is FREE to anyone in St. Thomas, Elgin County, London, Middlesex County, and surrounding areas.
What do I do if my card goes missing?
- If your card is lost or stolen, contact the library as soon as possible at 519-631-6050 and let us know.
- You are responsible for materials borrowed with your card, or your child’s card, until it is reported missing.
- Cards that are lost or damaged can be replaced at a charge of $2.00.
Don’t forget to let us know of any changes of address or contact information!
Did you know that most library cardholders can borrow up to 100 items on their cards? Check out our loan period and fines chart to check for exceptions and to be sure when your material is due back.
You can renew your items in person, online, or by telephone, as long as the item is not on hold for others.
In special circumstances, an extended loan period may be requested when material is borrowed.
You can renew up to FOUR times for each item borrowed!
Holds can be placed on items in three different ways:
- Online – All you need is your library card number and PIN. Just sign into Your Account.
- In person – Our staff will be pleased to place a hold for you.
- Over the phone – Call 519-631-6050 during regular business hours.
Materials are to be returned to the Circulation Desk (during open hours), or to our Book Return bins.
Overdue & lost or damaged items
We encourage you to return your materials on time so that others may enjoy them. Fines are applied for each item that is returned past the due date, reported lost or returned damaged. To make things easy, we can give you a print out of what you have borrowed and the due date of each item when you check out. You can also check online at anytime.
If library materials become lost or damaged, the borrower is responsible for replacement cost and any overdue fines owing. Library privileges will be suspended for patrons owing $10 or more in fines and fees.
|Item||Loan Period||Max. Renewals|
(if no holds)
|Audio Books (on CD)||3 weeks||4||$0.10||$5.00|
|Feature Films (DVDs & Blu Rays)||2 weeks||4||$1.00||$5.00|
|TV Seasons (DVDs)||2 weeks||4||$1.00||$5.00|
|Fast Films (DVDs)||3 days||None||$1.00||$5.00|
|eBooks and eAudiobooks (Digital)||1-2 weeks||Varies||$0.00||N/A|
|Express Reads||1 week||None||$1.00||$5.00|
|Kobo eReaders||3 weeks||4||$1.00||$5.00|
|Video Games||2 weeks||4||$1.00||$5.00|
What are Interlibrary Loans?
Interlibrary Loan service provides customers with an opportunity to borrow materials not owned by our library. This service is coordinated by the Southern Ontario Library Service. St. Thomas Public Library both borrows and lends materials.
Who can request an Interlibrary Loan?
The library provides Interlibrary Loan service to library members with accounts in good standing.
There is no charge for this service unless specified by the lending library.
Materials NOT available through interlibrary loan include:
- Reference Materials
- Computer Software
- Electronic Devices
- New books/Bestsellers
- DVD & Blu-Ray
How can I make a request?
To request interlibrary loan material you can email us or, ask in person. When submitting a request we need your name, and current library card number as well as the author and title of the the book. An ISBN number is also useful
How long will it take?
It can take as little as a few days to as much as 4 weeks or longer to obtain some materials, depending on the availability or type of material requested. You will be notified by phone or email when the requested item arrives.
Returns and Renewals
Materials must be returned with the original date due slip. Interlibrary loan materials cannot be renewed.
Overdue Interlibrary loan material will result in the immediate loss of privileges for this service. The borrower is responsible for fines and/or fees received from the lender as a result of the borrower’s misuse of loaned material. Failure to pay for fines and/or fees incurred will result in suspension of Interlibrary loan privileges.
How do I cancel my Interlibrary Loan request?
Please call 519-631-6050 and ask for the Interlibrary Loans Department. Please note that if you have agreed to pay any fees in order to obtain an item, these fees may still be owing if the item is already on its way to St. Thomas Public Library when we receive your cancellation request. St. Thomas Public Library will not charge any further cancellation fees.