Get a Library Card
How do I get a Library card?
- Visit any circulation desk to register for your library card today!
- All you need is identification and proof of current address. If you don’t have a Driver’s License, we also accept other ID’s (e.g. birth certificate) AND something which confirms your current address (e.g. recent bill or personalized cheque).
- Children in elementary school or younger need a parent or guardian to sign the registration form to assume the legal responsibility for materials borrowed from the Library.
- High school students may register for a card with ID and confirmation of address or a current student card.
- Your Library card needs to be renewed every two years. ID and confirmation of current address is required to renew.
Who can get a library card?
Membership is FREE to anyone in St. Thomas, Elgin County, London, Middlesex County, and surrounding areas.
What do I do if my card goes missing?
- If your card is lost or stolen, contact the library as soon as possible at 519-631-6050 and let us know.
- You are responsible for materials borrowed with your card, or your child’s card, until it is reported missing.
- Cards that are lost or damaged can be replaced at a charge of $2.00
Don’t forget to let us know of any changes of address or contact information!
Did you know that most library cardholders can borrow up to 100 items on their cards? Check out our loan period chart to check for exceptions and to be sure when your material is due back.
We allow a maximum of 4 renewals for most items. Some items are not eligible for renewal.
You can renew your items in person, online, or by telephone, as long as the item is not on hold for others.
If your card is in good standing, and your item has no holds on it, it will be automatically renewed for you before your due date.
Holds can be placed on items in three different ways:
- Online – All you need is your library card number and PIN. Just sign into Your Account.
- In person – Our staff will be pleased to place a hold for you.
- Over the phone – Call 519-631-6050 during regular business hours.
Materials are to be returned at the Library, or to any of our offsite Book Return Bins. Offsite Return Bins are located at the Elgin Mall, and at EarlyON.
Overdue & lost or damaged items
We encourage you to return your materials on time so that others may enjoy them. To make things easy, we can give you a print out of what you have borrowed and the due date of each item when you check out. You can also check online at anytime.
If library materials become lost or damaged, the borrower is responsible for replacement cost. Library privileges will be suspended for patrons owing $10 or more in fees.
|Item||Loan Period||Max. Renewals
(if no holds)
|Books, Audio Books (on CD)||3 weeks||4|
|Express Reads (Books)||1 week||None|
|DVDs, Blu Rays (Feature Films and TV Seasons)||2 weeks||4|
|Fast Films (DVDs)||3 days||None|
|Video Games||2 weeks||4|
|Book Club in a Bags||8 weeks||None|
|Kiosk Books||3 weeks||None|
|Kits: Literacy, STEM||3 weeks||None|
|Inter Library Loans (subject to fines of $1.00 per day, maximum $20.00)||3 weeks||None|
Interlibrary Loan Service (ILLO)
- You may make up to a maximum of 3 ILLO requests per month.
- Renewals are not permitted. You must honour the original due date assigned to your ILLO.
- Overdue charges on ILLO items are $1 per item per day until the item is returned.
- If a you do not pick up your ILLO requests, we may revoke your access to the ILLO service.
You can request an Interlibrary loan by filling out this form.
If you have any questions, concerns, or would like more information, please contact the library at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-631-6050.